Mesne profits refer to profits or damages that accrue while a property is wrongfully withheld from the rightful owner or a person entitled to its possession. In other words, mesne profits are the compensation paid to the rightful owner of a property for the loss of its use and enjoyment during the period when someone else wrongfully possessed it.
For example, if someone wrongfully occupies a property that belongs to someone else, they may be required to pay mesne profits to the rightful owner as compensation for the loss of rent or other benefits that they could have derived from the property during the period of the wrongful occupation.
The amount of mesne profits may be determined by the court based on various factors such as the rental value of the property, the length of the wrongful occupation, and any expenses incurred by the rightful owner as a result of the wrongful occupation.
The ingredients or factors that are considered in determining mesne profits may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case. However, some common factors that may be taken into account include:
- The rental value of the property: This refers to the fair market rental value of the property that was wrongfully occupied or withheld. The rental value may be based on factors such as the location, size, condition, and amenities of the property.
- The length of the wrongful occupation: This refers to the period during which the property was wrongfully occupied or withheld. The longer the period, the higher the amount of mesne profits that may be awarded.
- Expenses incurred by the rightful owner: This may include expenses such as legal fees, costs of eviction, and any other expenses that the rightful owner incurred as a result of the wrongful occupation.
- Mitigating factors: The court may also take into account any efforts made by the rightful owner to mitigate their losses during the period of wrongful occupation. For example, if the rightful owner was able to find another tenant for the property during the period of wrongful occupation, this may reduce the amount of mesne profits that can be awarded.
Overall, the determination of mesne profits is a complex legal issue that requires a thorough examination of the facts and circumstances of each case.
FOR MANY MORE UPDATES AVAILABLE CLICK BELOW
CLICK THE BELOW LINK TO READ THE COMPLETE CONTENTS, SOME CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE FOR GOLD SUBSCRIBERS ONLY. Join us as a GOLD SUBSCRIBER and get access to read important books. CEV LIBRARY GOLD SUBSCRIPTION
We are going to close all what’s groups of CEV soon due to difficulties in posting information or message in more than 5 groups of CEV at a time. All future posts of empanelment notices & professional importance will be shared on
3. The Twitter handle of CEV India https://twitter.com/cevindia?t=XbqlvnwUVz1G3uPgs749ww&s=09 after closing the groups. All members of these groups are requested to register themselves at the following link immediately for Getting all related timely updates
You must be logged in to post a comment.